Toilets are sensitive, and there are certain things one should never flush. Certain items wreak havoc on plumbing fixtures. There are only two items that should go down a toilet: human waste and toilet paper. Flushing other things may have you running to a plumber NYC to fix clogs or other issues.
A toilet bowl is not a garbage disposal. Never flush the following down:
- Dental Floss - When flushed, floss turns into a net and grabs onto debris. It can also wrap around the septic system.
- Cigarettes - Cigarettes are harmful to your plumbing system for two reasons: they contain harsh chemicals and cause clogs.
- Hair - Hair is similar to floss as it creates a net that gets caught on anything and everything.
- Gum - Chewing gum will not break down in the water. Additionally, it’s sticky and may stick to the pipes causing clogs.
- Kitty Litter - There are some kitty litters on the market that claim to be flushable. However, we advise you not to risk it. Most toilets don’t have enough water to move the litter along the pipes.
- Food - Undigested food is never good for your toilet, as clogs may occur.
- Bleach - Many people turn to bleach to clean their bathrooms. It is not the right choice for your toilet as it is too harsh a chemical. Use a more natural cleaner such as vinegar.
- Grease - Cooking grease is never a good idea for any plumbing fixture. Whether it’s your toilet or kitchen sink, keep oil far from your pipes.
If you’re dealing with toilet issues, contact a plumber New York City today. Our trained professionals are here to help.